Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2017 13:26:17 +0000
From:      Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Subject:   Is it possible to fix slice order with gpart/any other tool ?

Hi,

I am running FreeBSD CURRENT amd64 .  As part of attempts to use ZFS on my =
MBR  disk, I have made a serious error which has resulted in the slice orde=
r in the MBR being changed.

My attempt to use ZFS followed this strategy :

1) installed FreeBSD CURRENT on ada0s2 (BSD+UFS) with a spare slice ada0s3 =
available

2) set up a ZFS root at ada0s3a

2) migrated the installation using rsync to the ZFS tank

The migration was surprisingly painless and successful. In less than a day =
of first-time efforts, my ZFS setup was up and fully running - with the KDE=
 plasma5 desktop (thanks area51) migrated as part of the venture.

But following this fairly spectacular effort, I blundered. I have a Windows=
 installation on ada0s1. After the migration, I booted that installation to=
 check whether it was okay. During the check, I mindlessly used the Compute=
r (Disk) Management console to delete ada0s2. Upon reboot I realized that t=
his has now become a serious issue : Windows has altered the slice order in=
 the MBR. Instead of just dropping slice 2, MS has dropped 2 and changed 3 =
to 2. So when I boot the system, I have to use F2 to trigger the FreeBSD in=
stallation.

This does not go well with me. Being obsessive (particularly about the smal=
l things in life), I cannot bear the thought of being stuck with the wrong =
slice arrangement in the MBR table. If necessary, I can delete the whole sy=
stem and reinstall everything afresh. But I do wonder if gpart has the abil=
ity to fix the slice order.

If anyone can tell me possibilites and steps to fix to rearrange the MBR ta=
ble (ada0s2 -> ada0s3), that shall be very nice. Thanks for any help.

Manish Jain