Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 21:28:31 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Wesley Morgan <morganw@chemicals.tacorp.com>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, "  =?iso-8859-1?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA=20=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?=" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: entropy reseeding is totally broken

Wesley Morgan wrote:

> I'm not knocking anyone or any code, especially considering this IS
> -current... BUT... I don't need to read the code to know that I am seeing
> the same fortunes on first login after reboot more often than I can
> attribute to random chance. Maybe nanotime is being harvested, but it
> seems that there is a time lag between system startup and reaching a state
> of "true pseudo-entropy". Also, every reboot has entropy caching failing
> to work. I don't know if this is a product of the broken reseeding or
> what, because the /etc/rc files seem to be fine.

	How exactly are you rebooting? If you're using the 'reboot' command,
that explains why entropy reseeding is not working. As has been
discussed several times on -current, you only run rc.shutdown if you use
another method, like 'shutdown -r now', 'init 6', or even the trust
three-finger salute.

Good luck,

Doug
--