Date:      Wed, 20 Jul 2005 22:05:58 +0800 (WST)
From:      David Adam <zanchey@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, DA Forsyth <iwrtech@iwr.ru.ac.za>
Subject:   Re: Document not found - http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/mak

Giorgos,

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> On 2005-07-20 10:54, DA Forsyth <iwrtech@iwr.ru.ac.za> wrote:
> > The file
> >
> >     http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/makeworld.html.
> >
> > does not exist at this server. You are coming from
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=mergemaster&sektion=8&manpath=FreeBSD+5.4-RELEASE.
>
> That's because the manpage uses /doc/handbook to refer to the Handbook
> instead of the correct, which is /doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook.
>
> I've fixed the mergemaster manpage on HEAD and will merge the new URL to
> the other branches after a few days.  In the meantime, you can find the
> same section at:

While having the full URL is better, I think that this might actually be a
problem with the automatic link-finder in man.cgi.
/doc/handbook/makeworld.html does exist, but the link in mergemaster(8) is
resolved by the CGI to
"http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/makeworld.html." - note the trailing
'.'.

I can't find another manpage reproduces this, and I can't work out the
PERL that finds and creates HREFs from the URLs in the source. I might be
jumping the gun, but is there a way to check that this fix definitely
takes the trailing '.' off the generated link?

Cheers,

David Adam
zanchey@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au