Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 2007 11:23:22 +0100
From:      "Niclas Zeising" <niclas.zeising@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X.org (experimental) ports moving to LOCALBASE soon

On 1/9/07, Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 01:31:55AM +0000, Florent Thoumie wrote:
> >

> > Now that most ports are X11BASE-clean, I'm going to move X.org ports to
> > ${LOCALBASE} (as opposed to ${X11BASE}, where they live now). So expect
> > a commit talking about X.org PREFIX in the next few days.
> >
> > Actually, I advise using git-whatchanged and git-log before you make any
> > upgrade of your installed ports. The prefix change should need a
> > PORTREVISION bump but I won't do it (cause I'm too lazy), so you'll have
> > to type something like "portupgrade -R xorg\*".

[SNIP]

> My own list--(it'd be great if other people give their opinions
> too--SirDice, if you're reading this, it's a start at our xorg-lite) :)

Um, speaking of xorg-lite, I was thinking a bit about doing an
option-based xorg install, where you can choose what to install at
config-time via the ncurses-based framework.  The options will
propably mostly be related to drivers and maybe some apps in that
case.  The drawback is that we might get horrible Makefiles because of
all options and so on...  But anyway, what do you guys think?  I'm not
even sure if it's doable, it's just an idea.

> After deinstalling (or in a fresh install, where one hasn't yet put any
> X related things.)
>
> xorg-libraries
>
> xorg-fonts-${truetype type1 100-dpi 75-dpi miscbitmaps}
>
> twm and xterm (if you don't already have your own WM and xterm of
> choice), xauth, xinit (forgetting that one leaves you without startx
> which is embarrassing) and xkbcomp.  (Leaving out xkbcomp left me having
> to use xmodmap to set Mod4 to be the Windows key, left me without the |
> key in some terminals, etc.).
>
> xorg-server
>
> xf86-input${keyboard mouse videodriver of choice}.  (I've had no trouble
> running vmware without the vmware driver, by the way.)
>
> As the above will pull in various other things, it has worked for me,
> especially if I then install (on a fresh installation for example)
> fluxbox and mlterm.
>
> Florent and others, once again, you guys are doing a fantastic job.

+1

Regards!
//Niclas