Date:      Wed, 02 Jun 2004 11:12:24 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.2.1-R Support for 802.11b USB stick? usbd sees it as ugen0

I've got an olde thinkpad and picked up a "Syntax USB-400" 802.11b
interface on a USB stick (heck, it's free after rebate):

  http://www.freeafterrebate.info/article.php?story=20040301213230483

When I plug it in, usbd sees it as a generic device:

  ugen0: vendor 0x0967 product 0x0204, rev 1.10/1.32, addr 2

This appears to be a prism2 chipset, judging by code found while
googling the hex numbers above -- from linux-wan-ng.

I cut and paste dev/attach/detach lines from elsewhere /etc/usbd.conf
which handle USB ethernet devices:

  device "USB 802.11b"
	vendor  0x0967
	product 0x0204
	devname "[ackr]ue[0-9]+"
	attach  "/etc/pccard_ether ${DEVNAME} start"
	detach  "/etc/pccard_ether ${DEVNAME} stop"

Stop and restart usbd, insert the dongle. It reports the same message
as before, as if it's not finding a match on the vendor/product?  The
power(?) indictor on the dongle never lights.  If I reboot the machine
with the dongle inserted, the light does come on, but the usbd still
doesn't see the dongle as a network device.

Any pointers? Thanks.