Date:      Mon, 02 Nov 1998 17:21:03 -0800
From:      "Kenton A. Hoover" <shibumi@cisco.com>
To:        Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 6am stupidity, and the actual URL.

It's (reportedly) been confirmed by MS that the document is theirs.  The WSJ
is supposed to print a story about it on Wednesday.

> This whole document is laughable. The ammount of facts = 0.
> My favorite parts are the BSD ones.
>
> "Linux is killing BSD Unix" No accounting for taste. Of course the windows
> of the UNIX world is going to be more popular to the masses. But as has
> been stated before the *BSD's are not gimp boxes for the home drooler,
> were a server OS. In that context we shred Linux. And in many countries
> outside the US I would beg to differ on Linux killing us in any regard.
>
> "However, Berkeley put severe restrictions on non-academic uses of
> the codebase." ??? Someone is smoking some heavy ganja.
>
> "In order to create a fully free version of BSD UNIX, an ad hoc (but
> closed) team of developers created FreeBSD." See above. Im assuming in a
> theoretical, backwards, time traveling way these statements tie in with
> the BSD/USL thing. I guess. Id have to be smoking what the author is to
> understand for sure.
>
> I don't tend to believe this came from MS. While possible I find the
> absolute disregard for facts, and Pro Linux, Con BSD tilt to this a little
> to strong. I mean if the DOJ has trouble getting dox out of MS, It's not
> too likely that something like this would just "slip out" into someones
> hands.
>
> Its a good laugh if you need one though.
>
> Chris
> --
> "You both seem to be ignoring the fact that the networking market is
> driven by so-called 'IT professionals' these days, most of whom can't
> tell the difference between an ARP and a carp." --Wes Peters
>
> ===================================| Open Systems FreeBSD Consulting.
>    FreeBSD 3.0 is available now!   | Phone: (402)573-9124 / ICQ # 20016186

| Kenton A. Hoover                  Network Team Manager | shibumi@cisco.com |
| Engineering Computer Services                          |                   |
| Cisco Systems, Inc.                                    |   +1.408.526.5249 |
| "Years ago my mother said to me, 'In this world, Ellwood, you must be oh   |
|   so smart or oh so pleasant.' For years I was smart. I recommend          |
|   pleasant."                    -- Ellwood P. Dowd, "Harvey"               |