Date:      Thu, 01 Jul 1999 23:04:54 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Greg Skafte <skafte@worldgate.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UMAX scsi scanner on adaptec 1542 Card

In message <19990701163631.A20163@gras-varg.worldgate.com> Greg Skafte writes:
: I've got an adaptec 1542 card using aha driver and RELENG_3 detects it no
: problems.

OK.

: If I use the adaptec on board utilities it finds my UMAX scanner no probs.

OK.

: when I try to boot the machine hangs just after the waiting for scsi to
: settle message.

Now I'm confused.  Is this in -current where you are having the
problems?

: I've gabbed these as best as I can  since the machine doesn't finish booting
: so I can't grab a dmesg and I don't have a serial console.....

OK.

Before going too far, please make sure that termination is currect.
I've seen the "timeout timeout ...not in timeout" sequence when that
was the case.  I would have expected that from identical hardware with
a RELENG_3 kernel, however.  It is possible that something in the
emulation layer in -current isn't working, or that -current's CAM does
things a little faster than RELENG_3's CAM did, this exposing another
bug in the aha driver.  I didn't torture test it with anything except
slow disks and a CDROM changer...  Any other device will likely work
or not work due entirely to chance.

Warner