Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 1995 13:27:50 -0600 (CST)
From:      john@starfire.mn.org
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD questions)
Subject:   telnetd and NCSA DOS telnet

Some kinds telnet daemon expert help me, please!  I have not been able
to quite successfully use NCSA DOS telnet with local FreeBSD hosts.
It works just fine with remote (WAN link), but when I try to connect to
a FreeBSD host on the local LAN, only cooked mode works.  Connecting to
SCO or other Unix hosts doesn't show this problem.

I am using FreeBSD 2.0.5, but I have the lastest telnetd source
from -current (to protect against the ENVIRON hole).  The original
2.0.5 telnetd would do sort of random combinations of echo and
block mode, but once I finally rolled the right dice, everything
would work fine.  The newer daemons get those options right the
first time and every time, but never seem to do anything but
cooked mode right (except, of course, when I connect remotely).
The part about working right for remote hosts and failing for
local hosts was the same, even though the failure modes are
different...  Since I am not willing to do all my editing with
"ed," and since I can't use elm and lots of other things, I'd
really like to get this working.

Anyway, I thought I'd just go in and roll my own telnet daemon to
hard-code the modes that I need, but I quickly got lost in that
morass of timings and tty modes and telnet modes and what-not.
Anyway who can help me, I'd really appreciate it...

BTW, I did go looking for a different telnet client for DOS, but
haven't had much luck there, either.

		   John Lind, Starfire Consulting Services
E-mail: john@starfire.MN.ORG		USnail: PO Box 17247, Mpls MN  55417