Date:      24 May 1996 06:51:06 -0500
From:      "Richard Wackerbarth" <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, "tim@unt.edu" <tim@unt.edu>
Subject:   Re: when to sup, et al.

------------------ Enclosed/Nested Letter Follows ------------------
> Ok, I've got one host upgraded to stable and two others are in
> progress now.  Should I setup a cron tab to sup, and how often should
> I do this?  How often does stable change?  How often are there kernel
> changes?  What steps do I need to do to setup one machine to be
> a supserver for my three so I don't have to hog sup2.freebsd.org?
> (sorry for however ignorant my questions may seem).

"stable" doesn't change all that often. Mostly it depends on how often YOU
want to look at the changes. At most, daily is more than adequate. Some days
there are no changes.

If you intend to maintain a tree on a regular basis, may I recomend than you
consider 'ctm'? For the 2.1 tree (aka stable), I mail out a daily update if
there are any changes. You can choose to have them applied automatically or
can hold them to be applied manually.

IMHO, this has the advantage that it changes from a "pull on demand" to a
"push when ready" mode of operation. CTM is also more efficient in that it
sends just the changes rather than the whole file.

I'll be happy to assist in the conversion. On a slowly changing tree, there
are ways to trick the system to avoid re-fetching the entire tree.

Richard
------------------ End of Enclosed/Nested Letter ------------------

--

...computers in the future may have only 1,000 vacuum tubes and weigh
only 1/2 tons.      --  Popular Mechanics, March 1949