Date:      Sat, 15 Oct 2016 15:26:20 +0200
From:      Aymeric Mansoux <am-lists@bleu255.com>
To:        Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Upgrade path from 11.0-PRERELEASE (src) to 11.0-RELEASE-p1 (binary)

Hi Ben, list,

Ben Woods said :
> > On one of my machines I have been tracking FreeBSD via stable/10.
> > When the stable/11 branch was created, I started to follow it.
> > Everything was fine.
> >
> > However, at some point I decided that I was not making anything
> > significant enough to justify compiling from source and stopped `svn
> > update` (at r305361, 11.0-PRERELEASE), waiting for 11.0-RELEASE
> > images to be available.
> >
> > I naively tried to run `freebsd-update fetch` but of course
> > 11.0-PRERELEASE is unknown at update.freebsd.org so nothing is fetched,
> > and I'm stuck not knowing what to do next.
> >
> > Is there anyway I can still keep my current system and upgrade to the
> > pre-compiled 11.0-RELEASE-p1 without going through a full installation?
>
> You could do a source based update to 11-RELEASE. It would avoid a full
> install.

Yes, I can 'svn update` and it will work fine, but I was trying to avoid
doing that, as the machine is an x61 laptop (core 2 duo 2.0GHz-ish) and
it does take a bit of time. Also, unless I'm doing something wrong, it
seems compiling 11.0 takes much much more time than it used to, on the
same machine, with 10.x sources.

> However, you might find it quicker to backup and then do a new binary
> install. If you use ZFS boot environments, you could just install the new
> 11-RELEASE into a new boot environment, and recover your config files from
> the old boot environment after reboot.

Ah, I guess that would be one more argument to use ZFS eventually, as I
do not use it ATM on this machine, so I'd have to follow a possibly more
time consuming manual backup/install process.

Need to sleep over this, looks like there are no quick answer to the
problem unfortunately.

Thanks!
a.
--