Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 2003 13:40:36 -0400
From:      epilogue@attcanada.ca
To:        taku@cent.saitama-u.ac.jp, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Maestro-2E recording driver

Taken from thread '/dev/dsp and maestro-2e'

epilogue:
>> to access /dev/dsp (for input and output), however, when they do, they all return
>> error messages like 'device busy' or 'invalid playback device'.

>> uname -a
>> <snip> 4.8-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE-p3 #9: <snip> i386

>> relevant lines from kernel config:
>> device          pcm

>> cat /dev/sndstat
>> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
>> Installed devices:
>> pcm0: <ESS Technology Maestro-2E> at I/O port 0x1400 irq 5 (4p/0r/0v channels duplex)

taku:
>This is because the maestro driver in the tree doesn't provide recording
>capability yet.

is there a way to find out if anyone is actively pursuing adding the recording functionality
to the maestro-2e driver?

i would like to offer them my assistance.   i am not a programmer, but am willing to help
in other ways (researching, testing, writing docs, whatever).

also, Taku, if you have already have a working albeit somewhat imperfect solution, would
you be willing to submit it to the FBSD project?  perhaps whoever is in charge of the
pcm / ESS drivers would be willing to review the code.  (i am only hoping here.  i have
no idea about the code submission process...)

hoping only to find out more about this (and help out, if that is possible).
many thanks to all who reply.

cheers,
epilogue