Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 2004 17:27:07 -0500
From:      "Scott Key" <scottkey@comcast.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Problem regarding dhcp and FreeBSD 4.10 on a laptop

I have a Toshiba Satellite that used to run Win 98 until I got fed up =
and installed FreeBSD. This is my first FreeBSD installation, though I =
received help from a few people more knowledgable than I. The problem I =
am having is this: I have comcast broadband internet on a Linksys =
Wireless-G Gateway Modem/Router. I have two other computers that run =
windows, both of which have no problem using dhcp to obtain their IP =
addresses. For reasons that I have been unable to figure out after days =
of searching the internet, DHCP will assign a proper IP when =
pccard_ifconfig is set to use it in the rc.conf. The problem is that I =
am unable to get past the network. I can ping within the network to my =
hearts content, and if pinging my router and other computers was =
entertaining for more than five seconds, I'd be dandy. I have tried =
setting static IP's, I've tried manually adding the route's needed into =
the routing table, but NOTHING thus far has allowed be get outside the =
network. I contacted my cable company, who dutifully reported to me that =
they have no idea what FreeBSD is, anything other than Windows or Mac, =
and they are useless. In any event, I hope that some help can be =
provided in this matter. Everything else with FreeBSD works wonderfully, =
but for some reason, it simply will not allow me access the internet. =
Just to clarify, the PCcard is being recognized by FreeBSD, I added it =
in, it works fine. I have configured rc.conf to include a =
pccard_ifconfig (currently it's set to DHCP, which seems to be setting =
the appropriate ip address). Any help that could be offered would be =
most appreciated.