Date:      Tue, 1 Jan 2002 17:37:13 +0100
From:      luc wastiaux <wastia_l@epita.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfw rules and counterstrike

Hello, I have a 4.4R NAT box serving my ADSL connection, everything seems
to be working fine except for couterstrike.

when I attempt to connect to a server or refresh the server list, the
console on the NAT box says "natd failed to write packet back (permission
denied).

I have tried the following:

-mapping ports 27000-27020 UDP, 6003TCP 7002TCP from the NAT box to the
win box
-opening high ports with ipfw add allow udp from any to any 1024-65536,
ipfw add allow tcp from any to any 1024-65536

I haven't been sucessful so far. I'm a newbie when it comes to firewall
set up, so the info I gathered about half-life behind firewalls on the
web is not of much use to me since I don't know how to apply it to my
case.

What I would like to know is if some people have a similar setup and
managed to get counterstrike to work ?

thanks a lot.

below is my firewall ruleset:

# Firewall rules
# Written by Marc Silver (marcs@draenor.org)
# http://draenor.org/ipfw
# Freely distributable

# Define the firewall command (as in /etc/rc.firewall) for easy
# reference.  Helps to make it easier to read.
fwcmd="/sbin/ipfw"

# Force a flushing of the current rules before we reload.
$fwcmd -f flush

# Divert all packets through the tunnel interface.
$fwcmd add divert natd all from any to any via tun0

# Allow all data from my network card and localhost.  Make sure you
# change your network card (mine was fxp0) before you reboot.  :)
$fwcmd add allow ip from any to any via lo0
$fwcmd add allow ip from any to any via ed0
$fwcmd add allow ip from any to any via ed1

# Allow all connections that I initiate.
$fwcmd add allow tcp from any to any out xmit tun0 setup

# Once connections are made, allow them to stay open.
$fwcmd add allow tcp from any to any via tun0 established

# Everyone on the internet is allowed to connect to the following
# services on the machine.  This example specifically allows connections
# to ssh and apache.
$fwcmd add allow tcp from any to any 22 setup

# This sends a RESET to all ident packets.
$fwcmd add reset log tcp from any to any 113 in recv tun0

# Allow outgoing DNS queries ONLY to the specified servers.
$fwcmd add allow udp from any to 193.252.19.3 53 out xmit tun0
$fwcmd add allow udp from any to 193.252.19.4 53 out xmit tun0

# Allow them back in with the answers...  :)
$fwcmd add allow udp from 193.252.19.3 53 to any in recv tun0
$fwcmd add allow udp from 193.252.19.4 53 to any in recv tun0

# Allow ICMP (for ping and traceroute to work).  You may wish to
# disallow this, but I feel it suits my needs to keep them in.
$fwcmd add allow icmp from any to any

# Deny all the rest.
$fwcmd add deny log ip from any to any

--