Date:      14 Aug 2002 22:20:30 -0500
From:      Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>
To:        Doug Kite <niteskyguy@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cdrom: device not configured error

Do you have /dev/acd0c and /dev/acd0a with the same minor number, I.E:

$ cd /dev
$ ls -l acd*
crw-r-----  4 root  operator  117,   0 Aug 11 21:24 acd0a
crw-r-----  4 root  operator  117,   0 Aug 11 21:24 acd0c
crw-r-----  4 root  operator  117,   8 Aug 11 21:24 acd1a
crw-r-----  4 root  operator  117,   8 Aug 11 21:24 acd1c
$

If not, read the march notice in UPDATING, you need a later /dev/MAKEDEV
script.