Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 1999 15:18:38 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Rich Payne <rdp@talisman.alphalinux.org>
Cc:        Alpha List <alpha@freebsd.org>, "Daniel J. Frasnelli" <dfrasnel@csee.wvu.edu>

> 	I just talked with one of our engineers here about the docs/SDK
> etc... for AlphaBIOS. Evidently there is no documentation for AlphaBIOS,
> the docs being the source itself, the problem being that parts of the
> source were written/are copyrighted by Microsoft. So in order to get those
> you'd have to sign an NDA with MS. Not good.

Grumble.  That's quite unfortunate. :(  Thanks for letting me know,
in any case.

> The EBSDK is available from Compaq (1-800-Digital) for $79, the license of
> that seems to be fairly liberal (even BSD like I've been told). This
> includes the PAL code and documentation, between this and the sources to
> MILO
> you should be able to construct you're own boot loader (so I've been
> told).

EBSDK?  I'm afraid I don't know the term - is this a fancier name for
ARC, or are we talking about ARC and AlphaBIOS in the same breath in
paragragh 1?  I only know of 3 BIOS alternatives, that being
ARC/AlphaBIOS and SRM, and since we already support SRM that basically
leaves the other two (one?  I'm not sure if ARC is deprecated) as
targets.  This is especially painful in light of the Samsung decision
to go with AlphaBIOS on its newer boards.

If EBSDK would indeed be of some help here, do you have a part number?
I dread just cold-calling 1-800-Digital and navigating the PBX maze
without a map. :)

Thanks!

- Jordan