Date:      Mon, 23 Nov 1998 08:55:27 +0100 (CET)
From:      Are Bryne <are.bryne@communique.no>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Change in lnc code since 2.2.7?

Hello,

I set up FreeBSD 2.2.7 on a Compaq Deskpro 5100 a little while ago. This
computer has a built-in network adapter that is identified by BIOS/Setup
as either an AMD Ethernet card or an Integrated NetFlex-L ENET.

Booting with the generic install kernel, I discovered that the card was
detected as lnc1. This seemed to work all right, except for frequent heart
beat errors (SQE test failed).

Heres the detection from the logs:
lnc1 <PCNet/PCI Ethernet adapter> rev 2 int a irq 10 on pci0:11:0
lnc1: PCnet-32 VL-Bus address 00:80:5f:c2:71:88

To see if this could be allieviated, and if the tl driver would work any
better (or at all), I updated the kernel sources, and compiled and
installed a new kernel with the necessary rc.conf changes...
This didn't work.

So now I tried returning to the old driver with the new sources. This only
gave me this at boot:

lnc1 <PCNet/PCI Ethernet adapter> rev 2 int a irq 10 on pci0:11:0

It seems as if the card is not recognized properly anymore. Just to be
sure that this is software related, I've tried an old kernel, which worked
fine.

The card vendor id is 0x1022, device id is 0x2000, and it has revision
0x2.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Are Bryne
Communiqué DA                            Phone:        +47 22 44 33 99
Parkveien 51b                            E-mail:   admin@communique.no
N-0256 Oslo                              URL: http://www.communique.no