Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2017 13:00:31 +0100
From:      Shamim Shahriar <shamim.shahriar@gmail.com>
To:        Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is it possible to install FreeBSD on a single MBR slice with ZFS ?

Hello

I'm not sure why you think zfs needs the entire drive. Most people put it
that way, true, but zfs can work with many different things in the back. On
most of my servers i use multiple partitions (gpt) to isolate swap and tmp,
but keep the positioning scheme (and therefore the size of the partitions)
the same, and let zfs take over the zfs partitions. How this will work at
your end remains to be seen given that you have many different boot blocks.
But if you are happy to try, change the freebsd partition to zfs and see
how it goes. Might find mfsbsf helpful in this regard.

Hope this helps.