Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 2000 16:02:12 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Rasmus Skaarup <rasmus@gal.dk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   disc io - sync and async

Hi,

Recently I posted a question about disc perfomance, FreeBSD vs. Linux, and
learned that Linux by default mounts the drives in async mode where
FreeBSD mounts them in sync mode.

2 questions arise:

- Why is sync mode more secure? (I was told that a recovery would be less
painful if drives are mounted in sync mode - in case of a breakdown.)
- Why does a simple 'mount' command tell me that both sync and async reads
and writes are being performed on me FreeBSD box?

Thank you.

Best regards
Rasmus