Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 12:00:08 -0500
From:      Jason Pfeil <jpfeil@lsi.fsu.edu>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, pfeil@cs.fsu.edu, pfeil@cs.fsu.edu, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, pfeil@cs.fsu.edu
Subject:   Installation onto LARGE HD (10.1GB)

To Whom it May Concern:

I am an avid and very experienced Linux user and would like to try the
other kid on the block -- FreeBSD.  I have a new drive, but when I try
to create BSD slices in a partition whose type I changed to freebsd from
within the installation, it tells me that I cannot do that.  Here are
the results from fdisk /dev/hdc (the HD) under Linux:

< -- begin transcript -- >
# fdisk /dev/hdc
The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 19650.
This is larger than 1024, and may cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/hdc: 16 heads, 63 sectors, 19650 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Begin    Start      End    Blocks    Id    System
/dev/hdc1             1        1     2081   1048792+   83    Linux
native
/dev/hdc2          2048     2082     6243   2097648    83    Linux
native
/dev/hdc3          6144     6244    10405   2097648    83    Linux
native
/dev/hdc4         10240    10406    19650   4659480     5    Extended

Command (m for help): q
< -- end transcript -- >

I am trying to change the type of partition /dev/hdc1 (linux naming) to
freebsd under the freebsd installation and create a slice for swap and a
slice for a partition.  Unfortunately, I get an error saying that I
can't create the partition.  LBA is on under the BIOS, and Linux has no
problems with the drive.  This is the third HD in my system and
therefore LILO will not be running off of it so it shouldn't be limited
by the BIOS when booting freebsd off of this partition.  One option I
haven't tried, but was hoping you would have a better solution, was to
copy off the data I already have on the drive, do a low-level format to
erase everything and see if I can coerce LBA under my BIOS to reduce the
cylinder to <= 1024 by increasing the number of heads.  Do you have ANY
other solution?

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Jason A. Pfeil