Date:      Tue, 2 Jun 1998 19:55:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, mike@smith.net.au, bag@sinbin.demos.su, eivind@yes.no, sepotvin@videotron.ca, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I see one major problem with DEVFS...

> > Since it's the same space, you could hard link from your devfs into
> > the empty one to create the nodes.
> >
> > This is even better, since it allows a chroot in a chroot to never
> > inherit more than the parent.  8-).
>
> However it is problematic to link outside of a chroot, and it may not
> always be desirable to be so fancy (eg. when using chroot for
> engineering rather than security reasons).

Not the same thing.  I'm talking about:

-----------+---+-------------------+-----------+------- chroot 2
           |   |                   |           |
-------+---+---+-----------+-------+-----------+------- chroot 1
       |   |   |           |       |           |
---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+--- system
   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+--- template

chroot 1 and chroot 2 were populated from system using the link(2)
call, which worked "across" devfs instances.

> > > DEVFS is per-system.  You cannot export a DEVFS via NFS (it makes no
> > > sense to do so - devices there are only relevant to the host system).
>
> No, it's a direct feature of DEVFS, or more particularly to achieve the
> results desired by the original poster you cannot use an NFS-mounted
> devfs.

???

You'd have to restate your understanding of the results; from mine, I
was under the impression they were talking about remote mounts of
NFS roots.

There is also the problem of non-devfs capable kernels remote NFS root
mounting from FreeBSD -- this one requires the ability referesent device
node for remote use, even if they locally have no meaning.

> > For normal devices that are only operated on via open/close/read/write,
> > it makes sens to export a devfs.
>
> No, it does not.  There is no identifying information exported with a
> DEVFS node that allows the local system to correctly connect a node
> from a remote DEVFS (which may not map to a local driver) to a local
> device.

The vnode *is* the device.  No connection is necessary.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.