Date:      Mon, 30 Dec 2002 19:56:46 -0600 (CST)
From:      hawkeyd@visi.com (D J Hawkey Jr)
To:        m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multi-threaded or async Mozilla (NSPR, really)

In article <20021222154722.GA8522_happy-idiot-talk.infracaninophi@ns.sol.net>,
	m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk writes:
> On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 07:18:54AM -0600, D J Hawkey Jr wrote:
>
>> I can't imagine what Moz is doing within it's DNS code, even with the
>> serialized DNS lookups. If nslookup replies within fractions of a second,
>> why doesn't Moz??
>
> Take a look at look at the getaddrinfo(3) man page and then try doing
> a look up of the AAAA or A6 records for the troublesome locations.

After looking at the man page, and understanding all of ~35% of it, I'll
ask this: Are you referring to the oft-mentioned, ill-configured, INET6
records in some DNS servers, or are you referring to less-than-correct
code in FreeBSD's TCP/IP stack, or are NSPR's routines indeed flawed?

I guess I'll ask this, too: is getaddrinfo(3) called by gethostbyname(3)?
It's the latter that Mozilla/NSPR calls, and is the blamed culprit.

For giggles, I disabled INET6 in the kernel, re- built and installed it,
and the problem vanished. But this doesn't answer the question: Is it
problematic DNS records, a problematic OS, or what? The second, I doubt...

> 	Cheers,
> 	Matthew

Thanks,
Dave