Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2017 17:22:36 +1000
From:      Felix Friedlander <felixphew0@gmail.com>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller6722@twc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Accessing UFS partitions from a Macbook

>> Considering how BSD-ish it seems in Terminal - df, du and other =
commands
>> working as expected - I was a bit surprised that it doesn't support =
UFS
>> natively, given its heritage.  When I first ran mount it complained - =
as
>> will FreeBSD without an fstab entry - about needing the -t switch, =
but
>> 'mount -t ufs' didn't complain about that but a (not) missing =
directory.
>=20
> There might be differences resulting in incompatibility between the =
versions of UFS in various BSDs, and Mac OS main filesystem is HFS+.
>=20
> I noticed, after downloading DragonFlyBSD installation image, dd'ing =
to USB stick, and booting, it could read GPT partition table but was =
unable to mount any FreeBSD and NetBSD partitions.
>=20
> Last DragonFlyBSD image I downloaded and dd'ed to USB stick didn't =
even get through the boot.
>=20
> FreeBSD and NetBSD were unable to mount the DragonFly USB-stick =
partition.
>=20
> There is also the issue of BSD disklabels when using MBR, and one BSD =
not being able to read the other's disklabel.

OS X did originally support UFS1 (in Disk Utility as well as on the =
command line), but it dropped that support many versions ago. UFS2, the =
normal version for FreeBSD, was (AFAIK) never supported.

Fun fact: OS X also had undocumented, partial support for ZFS at one =
stage, but it was dropped - presumably because of a legal dispute with =
Oracle.

--=20
Felix Friedlander <felixphew0@gmail.com>