Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 20:37:14 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com>
To:        Michael Williams <mjwab@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Majid Almassari <majid@ibroadcast.net>
Subject:   Re: NFS server problems

On Sunday, 28 November 1999 at 21:20:47 -0700, Michael Williams wrote:
> I have just installed FreeBSD 3.3 and am having a problem with the NFS
> server. When my machine boots I get the following messages:

> Doing additional network setup: portmap.
> Starting final network daemons:
> mountd Nov 28 21:04:07 master
> mountd[127] can't register mount
> nfsd Nov 28 21:04:07 master
> nfsd:[130]: can't register with udp portmap
> rpc.statd Cannot register service:
> RPC: Unable to send; errno = No route to host
> rpc.statd: unable to register (SM_PROG, SM_VERS, udp)
>
> Consequently the NFS server does not work.
>
> Any ideas as to what the problem may be? Is there more information that I
> need to provide.

There was a problem with FreeBSD 3.3 only where the loopback interface
didn't get initialized.  This looks like the problem.  Check that you
get this:

  $ ifconfig lo0
  lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
  inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

If the address isn't set, do:

  # ifconfig lo0 127.1

After that, restart the NFS daemons, and things should work.  To make
it permanent, make sure that you have something like this in your
/etc/rc.conf:

  network_interfaces="ed0 lo0"

It's important that lo0 appears here; depending on your hardware, ed0
may be something else, or there may be multiple additional interfaces.

Greg