Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 23:51:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        Marcos Kleber <mkleber@adv.oabsp.org.br>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to and why :)

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Marcos Kleber wrote:

>I begin to use freebsd less than a week.

Congrats on your new found OS. :-)

>so I hope u can undesrtand how dumb I'm in realtion to it !!!
It takes some time to learn new things.

>I can't understand how to use ports.

The handbook explains it. Did you check http://www.freebsd.org/handbook ?
Basically the ports is a way to download source code and compile in your
machine.

There are also "packages" which are pre-compiled binaries. I believe
packages are now been build more frequently so you could use them most of
the time. It used to be that ports were significantly more up to date than
packages, but I think the difference has significanly been reduced.

To use packages run /stand/sysinstall
-Configure
-Packages
-Select method to download package (i.e. ftp)
-If using ftp select your nearest mirror