Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2000 18:37:33 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Oren Sarig <sarig@bezeqint.net.il>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSup with a dynamic IP

Oren Sarig wrote:

> Sorry to have bothered you all, the answer was in front of my eyes:
> try a different server. cvsup3.freebsd.org didn't work, but
> cvsup7.freebsd.org did. Sorry for the stupid question.

It isn't a stupid question until you do it the third time :). I used
to get the same message and ended up using the same mirror. I was
going to reply and got busy in the darkroom and forgot. What I was
going to say is that there has to be a mirror that is located closer
too you than US mirrors are to .il land. Some of the USA mirrors are
hammered pretty much all day long. A shot hop to a quiet cvsup mirror
has to be faster.

Kent

> --
> Oren Sarig
> sarig@bezeqint.net.il
>
> Oren Sarig wrote:
> >
> > I am connected to the internet with ISDN, and use sppp to connect. I
> > get assigned a dynamic IP every time I connect, so I don't have a
> > static IP I can point to, neither a static host name.
> >
> > Now, I'd like to use CVSup to upgrade my system to -STABLE, and update
> > my ports tree. I got the stable-supfile from the website and added the
> > ports tag, and tried using `cvsup stable-supfile` (I am using X).
> > CVSup complained it can't locate an IP for my hostname. My hostname
> > was set to `asmodean', which is a made up name, because I wan't sure
> > this had any real use for me, since I'm not a server. Anyways, after
> > this complaint I changes my hostname to plain old `localhost'. Tried
> > the command again, and CVSup came up. I tried clicking that play
> > button to begin downloading, and walla, I get a message that I was
> > denied a connection (I tried connection to cvsup3.freebsd.org).
> >
> > Logic tells me this: the CVSup server needs my IP for some reason,
> > since it decides to be real smart and contat my IP instead of using
> > the TCP/IP session already open, so it needs to get my IP, which the
> > CVSup client provides. The CVSup client provides the IP it gets from a
> > reverse domain name lookup, and, since my hostname was set to
> > localhost, resulted in 127.0.0.1, which is the IP for any computer.
> > The CVSup server realizes this, and declines my connection.
> >
> > Now, my questions are:
> > (a) Is this what is really happening?
> > (b) If so, how do I get CVSup to get my IP that was assigned
> > dynamically?
> > (c) If not, what is the remedy to this situation?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Oren Sarig
> > sarig@bezeqint.net.il

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html