Date:      Fri, 20 Jun 1997 12:28:56 -0400
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world error in RELENG_2_2

On Fri, Jun 20, 1997 at 01:10:09PM +0930, Michael Smith wrote:
> Mark Mayo stands accused of saying:

[SNIP]

> > I'll be adding a section entitles "What to do when make world fails", that
> > will go throough some of the common problems that might occur during
> > dramatic reorganizations of the source tree, and how to get around them.
>
> Here is a checklist you might want to include somewhere near the top
> where impatient people will find it.  This isn't my work; if the
> author wants to be identified I'm sure they'll stand up and say so :

Thanks for the list. I'll add it to my checklist. Of course, using this
strategy I would have waited over a month before looking at other options.
But yes, in general if the make world fails, you just have to wait 24 hours and
try again...

Perhaps the other important steps if make world is failing are:

1) rm -rf /usr/src/*
2) CVSUP the whole tree again
3) make world

And if that fails:
1) make includes
2) or FTP down the /usr/include files from a more current machine
3) make world (implied rm -r /usr/obj here...)

One last thing: After I did get the new includes, everything compiled but
in the install phase "install-info" for all the GNU info docs failed with
an invalid option to install-info. Anyways, I'm just going to remove my
whole source tree and start fresh - this seems to be the key when weird stuff
starts happening. Would there be anyway for CVSUP to know when the tree is
getting too mixed up and just say "Well, looks like we're gonna have to start
from scratch here. Shall I continue?". That would be neat. Like I said to
Jordan, the fact that the "delete" option in the cvsup file doesn't do the
removal of old bits is a little misleading, and is ultimatlely what sent me
down the wrong path :-)   You see, in my mind, after I run cvsup, I should
have the same source tree as the repository, no matter what I started from!

Of course, maybe now I hold the record for the most runs of 'make world' in a
24 hour period ;-)  Quite an educational experience, and now I feel far more
knowledgable/comfortable about the whole build procedure.

-Mark

> 1. If your CPU is overclocked, shut up and don't bother us again.
>
> 2. Make absolutely sure your entire source tree is 100% up-to-date,
> using CVSup or CTM.
>
> 3. If you cheated in step 2, in any way whatsoever, shut up and
> don't bother us again.
>
> 4. Execute these commands as root:
>
>         rm -rf /usr/obj
>         mkdir /usr/obj
>         find /usr/src -name obj -type l | xargs rm
>         make world
>
> 5. If you didn't type the commands in step 4 precisely as directed,
> shut up and don't bother us again.
>
> 6. If it still fails, wait 24 hours.  Then repeat steps 1-5
> again one time.
>
> 7. If you didn't wait 24 hours and then repeat steps 1-5 exactly
> as directed, shut up and don't bother us again.
>
> 8. If it still fails in exactly the same way as the first time, tell
> us about it.
>

> Ok, so they may want toning down a bit for general consumption...
>
> --
> ]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@gsoft.com.au             [[
> ]] Genesis Software                     genesis@gsoft.com.au            [[
> ]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile)     0411-222-496   [[
> ]] realtime instrument control.         (ph)          +61-8-8267-3493   [[
> ]] Unix hardware collector.             "Where are your PEZ?" The Tick  [[

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@quickweb.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		   http://vinyl.quickweb.com/mark

	 finger mark@quickweb.com for my PGP key and GCS code
	University degrees are a bit like adultery: you may not want to
	get involved with that sort of thing, but you don't want to be
	thought incapable.	-Sir Peter Imbert