Date:      Fri, 21 Oct 2016 17:06:05 -0400
From:      mfv <mfv@bway.net>
To:        Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com>
Cc:        jd1008 <jd1008@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: console command history

> On Fri, 2016-10-21 at 16:04 Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>jd1008 wrote:

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Checkout the section "History substitution" in  csh(1).
>>>
>>> It is possible to save and/or delete the history using various
>>> settings. I found the following to be useful setting in the csh
>>> configuration file:
>>>
>>> set history  = 1000
>>> set savehist = (1000 merge)
>>>
>>> Cheers ...
>>>
>>> Marek
>>>
>> +1
>> Well, since I like to keep much longer history, I set it to
>> something rather large - like 999999 :)
>>

>Those 2 statements are in /root/.cshrc as part of the system install.

Hello Ernie,

As my setup is only a single user host I placed both of these commands
in /etc/csh.cshrc and then disabled .cshrc in both /root and ~/.
Thus, there is only one configuration file for both root and my home
directory.  Have used this setup for many years without incident.

I am using r10.3 amd64.

Cheers ...

Marek