Date:      Sun, 06 Jul 1997 21:46:19 -0400
From:      Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
To:        dg@root.com, Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VJ compression and MAX_HDR

At 05:53 PM 7/6/97 -0700, David Greenman wrote:
>>After further review, it looks like the genesis of this change is
>>the fact that sl_compress_tcp() requires the full TCP/IP headers
>>to lie within the first mbuf, and sl_uncompress_tcp() requires the
>>TCP/IP header (in the TYPE_UNCOMPRESSED_TCP case) to also be in a
>>contiguous buffer...
>>
>>Plus the fact that m_pullup() won't work for values greater than MHLEN
>>doesn't help.
>
>   I think the case of IP+TCP header > MLEN is more than rare...I think it
>never happens. Even with all options, the IP header doesn't exceed 64 bytes.

But the maximum TCP header is also 64 bytes so it could be > MLEN.
For now it isn't probable since few TCP options exist to push the
TCP header beyond 32 byte mark.  SACK will push that close to the
limit however.

3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:    http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt.html
Westford, MA              Disclaimer: I disavow all knowledge of this message