Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 97 14:38:39 -0700
From:      Kevet Duncombe <kevet@filoli.com>
To:        Ian Kallen <ian@gamespot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mkisofs with long file names?

You wrote:
> It turns out that the problem is that some of the recipients of
> this CD are using Wintel, which apparently does not read the
> translation table. When this burner is running on a wintel CPU, we
> burn iso9660 CD's with Corel's CD Creator and can select long file
> names... they are readable on wintel machines and mounted under
> Unix as iso9660 platters both displaying the long file names
> properly. Any idea what the difference between the flavors of
> iso9660 are and how to get mkisofs to use the flavor that the Corel
> software uses? thanks

Wintel wants the Joliet extension, which consists of secondary
volume descriptors using unicode characters.   The last time I
looked, along about 1.11, mkisofs didn't do Joliet.  It should
be pretty easy to add; I was toying with idea, but free time's
been pretty scarce.  Here is a URL for the Joliet spec in case
your motivation is greater than mine...

http://www.ms4music.com/devl/dvjoliet.htm