Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 1999 08:40:43 -0500
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@cs.wisc.edu>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        nicole@nmhtech.com, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Very Interesting user of FreeBSD

On Apr 04, 1999 at 12:11:40PM +0200, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com> writes:
> > No - "Novell powered by Dell" is a custom Novell system (which appears
> > to beat everything else at this particular bakeoff).  But then again, the
> > solution is not a general purpose OS, (as far as I can tell), so that's
> > to be expected.
>
> I recently had the occasion to compare Novell BorderManager running on
> three quad-Xeon Dell servers to Squid running on one dual-CPU SGI
> Origin 200. The Dell boxen died three times a day under one third the
> load the SGI handled.

This isn't BorderManager, it's a brand new product that Novell just
used the bakeoff to introduce.

> BTW, I've had reliable reports that Novell's cache is mostly Squid
> with polish. I suspect any performance advantage (real or perceived)
> stems from tighter integration with the operating system.

Interesting.  I don't know one way or another, but their performance
profiles definitely show that their cache is effectively integrated
into the OS; they don't appear to suffer from as much overhead as
the other solutions.  As a side note, at the bakeoff, they managed
to mis-configure their small box as half duplex (and not notice until
the last day), but still got 2/3 the performance that we did.  Rumor
has it that they were only using 25% of the CPU, while we were pegged.
--
Jonathan