Date:      Fri, 5 May 2000 17:40:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        jgreco@ns.sol.net (Joe Greco)
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any known problems with routing in 3.4R?

> I've set up a FreeBSD 3.4R box to do BGP.  It takes full routes off an ATM
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Upgrade to 3.4-Stable, the reference count of your network interface
is wrapping past the 16 bit limit of a short and probably the cause
of your panic.

> OC3 (hea0 set up as atm1) and routes packets between that and the 100mbps
> Ethernet port.

Also I hope you have tweaked up your KVM space, full routes take a fair
bit of kernel virtual memory space to hold.  I usually run with 48M of kvm,
some times 64M on full feed BGP boxes, I can say it does work fine on
3.4-stable, and that I had nothing but regular panics on 3.4-Release and
for a long time after that:

br1.CN85pm.abtltd.com# uname -a
FreeBSD br1.CN85pm.abtltd.com 3.4-STABLE FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE #0: Mon Jan  3 02:40:43 PST 2000     root@br1.CN85pm.abtltd.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/BR1  i386
br1.CN85pm.abtltd.com# netstat -rn | wc
   77695  468055 5444199

> I'm getting periodic (every few days) crashes.  I recently started recording
> the console output, and the last crash was due to a panic

Yepp.. that sure sounds like the 3.4R if reference counter problem, usually
right after a big flash update from one of your BGP peers.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net