Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:49:29 -0500
From:      "J. Seth Henry" <jshamlet@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Daniel R. Curran" <drc7257@cs.rit.edu>
Subject:   Re: Firefox Process Not Exiting

> Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:17:46 -0500
> From: "Daniel R. Curran" <drc7257@cs.rit.edu>
> Subject: Re: Firefox Process Not Exiting
> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>
> Seeing as the problem would now seem to be in the linuxpluginwrapper or
> linux-flashplugin port is there a way to fix this problem? Is there any
> work being done on it? is it a known bug? What would the process be for
> one to get the ball rolling towards a fix?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan
>
> Matthew Seaman wrote:
> >On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 09:15:43PM +1100, Gautam Gopalakrishnan wrote:
> > =A0
> >
> >>On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 00:12:56 -0500
> >>"Daniel R. Curran" <drc7257@cs.rit.edu> wrote:
> >>
> >> =A0 =A0

> >>One more vote from me. Same behaviour with firebird too. So it's not
> >>newly introduced...
> >> =A0 =A0
> >
> >I've seen this happen with all of Mozilla, Firebird and now Firefox.
> >It's only certain web sites that trigger the effect, and it seems to
> >happen on sites which make use of a large amount of Flash stuff -- the
> >effect is even caused by Macromedia's test page at
> >http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/welcome/ -- although quite often
> >what happens is that the flash infexted page will only load once (if
> >at all) and after that the whole browser freezes up and has to be
> >killed from the command line.
> >
> >I'd say it's more likely a bug in the linuxpluginwrapper or
> >linux-flashplugin ports.
> >
> >=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Cheers,
> >
> >=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Matthew
> >
> > =A0

Guys,
If it is the plug-in, then it affects more than just Linux/*BSD. I had this=
=20
same problem occur on a Windows box the other day. My fiancee, a diehard=20
AOL'er, sent me an e-card, and when I closed Mozilla after viewing it, the=
=20
window closed, but I had a mozilla process sucking up all available cycles.=
 I=20
noticed this because the CPU fan went from its normal 55% on, to full up=20
100%.

IOW - it may be something in Mozilla/FireFox itself. Unfortunately, Mozilla=
=20
didn't technically crash, so I'm not sure how useful a bug report would be.

Regards,
Seth Henry