Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 2009 08:47:45 -0700
From:      Sam Leffler <sam@freebsd.org>
To:        Bruce Simpson <bms@incunabulum.net>
Cc:        Thiago Luz Basilio <elmofo@uol.com.br>, rpaulo@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org, Tobias Kirschstein <lev@nupfel.de>
Subject:   Re: 802.11b broken in -CURRENT?

Bruce Simpson wrote:
>> Can anyone shed further light on this? I know that 802.11b sucks, but
>> there's a lot of it out there,
>> and it just needs to work.
>
> Please ignore 'broken'. I found that my 802.11b AP's minipci card had
> worked its way loose.
> After rebooting it, I found I had to do the following to get 802.11b
> access point association to work:
>
> ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev ath0
> ifconfig wlan0 mode 11b
> ifconfig wlan0 channel any:b
> ifconfig wlan0 ssid OpenWrt
> ifconfig wlan0 down
> ifconfig wlan0 up
>
> Hope this helps!
Actually this just promulgates misunderstandings and voodoo that others
will ape.  This is what you need to setup an 11b-only ap on the best
available channel:

ifconfig wlan create wlandev ath0 wlanmode hostap mode 11b ssid OpenWrt up

For the sta side:

ifconfig wlan create wlandev ath0 mode 11b ssid OpenWrt up

If the above does not work please enable debugging with wlandebug and
file a PR.

    Sam