Date:      Fri, 10 Jun 2011 20:24:23 -0400
From:      Daniel Staal <DStaal@usa.net>
To:        John or Judy Hixson <johnorjudy@earthlink.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need Help Installing and Configuring Xorg

--As of June 10, 2011 4:26:27 PM -0700, John or Judy Hixson is alleged to
have said:

> I'm having trouble getting Xorg to run on my just recently installed
> FreeBSD 7.4-RELEASE(i386) system. I'm trying to follow the procedures in
> Sections 5.3 and 5.4 of the Handbook and can't seem to get "startx" to
> fire up; I get a black screen when I try. Here's what I've done so far:

--As for the rest, it is mine.

Weird question: Have you installed xterm yet?  Without a window manager
configured, startx will try to open X with a single xterm window.  (At
least, as installed from ports, I believe.)  I'm not sure what it would do
if it couldn't find xterm, but a blank black screen sounds possible...

If I'm right, Xorg is _running,_ you just haven't started any programs in
it.  Which you might be able to see if you ssh'd into the box.  If so, you
could kill Xorg and get your terminal back on your standard terminal.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.