Date:      Tue, 17 Jun 2003 13:15:04 +0200
From:      Oliver Brandmueller <ob@e-Gitt.NET>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with wi in CURRENT (and 5.1)

Hello.

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 11:48:13AM +0100, Robert Hulme wrote:
> I'm having some problems with wi in 5-CURRENT and 5.1 in general.

The problem came up between June 7 and June 15 in -CURRENT.

> I'm using a Proxim Skyline 802.11b PC Card (which I believe uses the
> Prism 2 chipset). The PC Card is using the 0.3.0 primary and 0.8.3
> secondary firmware (which I believe is the latest). I have a Dell
> Inspiron 8200.

I have an Orinoco Gold Card. HP Omnibook 500. ACPI disabled (the
notebook has APM, with ACPI I don't see battery capacity). I tried with
and without WEP. The network works fine for some time, then blocks for a
while and starts working again.

> wi0: timeout in wi_cmd 0x0002; event status 0x8000
> wi0: wi_cmd: busy bit won't clear.

Looks similar at my Notebook:

wi0: <Lucent Technologies WaveLAN/IEEE> at port 0x100-0x13f irq 10 function 0 config 1 on pccard0
wi0: 802.11 address: 00:02:2d:51:a2:35
wi0: using Lucent Technologies, WaveLAN/IEEE
wi0: Lucent Firmware: Station (8.10.1)
wi0: supported rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
wi0: bad alloc 21e != 207, cur 0 nxt 0
wi0: bad alloc 24b != 234, cur 0 nxt 0
wi0: device timeout
wi0: bad alloc 26a != 234, cur 0 nxt 0
wi0: device timeout
wi0: bad alloc 283 != 234, cur 0 nxt 0
wi0: device timeout
wi0: bad alloc 29a != 234, cur 0 nxt 0
wi0: device timeout
wi0: bad alloc 2b1 != 234, cur 0 nxt 0
wi0: device timeout
wi0: bad alloc 2c8 != 234, cur 0 nxt 0
wi0: device timeout
wi0: bad alloc 2df != 234, cur 0 nxt 0
wi0: device timeout
wi0: bad alloc 2f6 != 234, cur 0 nxt 0
wi0: device timeout
wi0: bad alloc 30d != 234, cur 0 nxt 0
wi0: device timeout
wi0: bad alloc 324 != 234, cur 0 nxt 0
wi0: device timeout
wi0: bad alloc 33b != 234, cur 0 nxt 0
wi0: device timeout
wi0: bad alloc 352 != 234, cur 0 nxt 0
wi0: device timeout
wi0: bad alloc 369 != 234, cur 0 nxt 0
wi0: device timeout
wi0: bad alloc 380 != 234, cur 0 nxt 0
wi0: device timeout
wi0: bad alloc 397 != 234, cur 0 nxt 0
wi0: device timeout
wi0: bad alloc 3ae != 234, cur 0 nxt 0
wi0: device timeout
wi0: bad alloc 3c5 != 234, cur 0 nxt 0
wi0: device timeout
[and further]

complete dmesg, debugging output and stuff will be sent on request. I
was silently hoping that others have this problem too and somebody
cares, because I do not have any time to do anything at the moment. But
at least I offer my help in giving hints.

Thanx, Oliver

--
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |