Date:      22 Feb 2001 11:41:14 GMT
From:      Thomas Graichen <news-list.freebsd.fs@innominate.de>
To:        fs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Porting GFS to FreeBSD

Mike Declerck <declerck@sistina.com> wrote:
> All,

> Sistina Software Inc is in the process of evaluating the effort to port the
> Global File System from Linux to FreeBSD.  Before someone starts harping on
> the GPL let me state that Sistina is willing to have a separate license for
> the *BSD community so if we could put that discussion off to a later time I
> would appreciate it.

> For people who don't know about GFS you can find technical information
> concerning it at -> http://www.sistina.com

> Here is a quick description:

>  The Global File System (GFS) is a shared disk cluster file system for Linux.
>  GFS supports journaling and recovery from client failures.  GFS cluster nodes
>  physically share the same storage by means of Fibre Channel, shared SCSI
>  devices or network block devices. The file system appears to be local on each
>  node and GFS synchronizes file access across the cluster. GFS is fully
>  symmetric, that is, all nodes are equal and there is no server which may be a
>  bottleneck or single point of failure. GFS uses read and write caching while
>  maintaining full UNIX file system semantics.

i think also important to note here (for all who don't know GFS
well) that GFS is also useable quite well as a local filesystem
- that means porting it to FreeBSD would result in a journaling
64bit (ok - no problem for FreeBSD :o) filesystem which also can
handle large directories very well ... i think beneath the really
cool aspect of a clustered filesystem this is also something which
looks pretty interesting

thomas.graichen@innominate.com
                                                         innominate AG
                                                  the linux architects