Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 13:13:19 +0200
From:      Hanno Liem <freebsd@dark4ce.com>
To:        "David S. Jackson" <dsj@sylvester.dsj.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, kplug-list@kernel-panic.org, ale@ale.org
Subject:   Re: gnutella tips?

<soapbox>

Gnutella is braindead. Use something with the FastTrack protocol: Kazaa or
Morpheus (I use Morpheus)... it is infinitely better than Napster or
Gnutella has ever been, imho.

The decentralized setup is nice, but what makes it really cool is the fact
that FastTrack breaks files down into parts which are then downloaded
simultanously from multiple sources. Concurrent downloading rocks... when
downloading a file where my throughput to a certain host is 1.2 K/sec I
generally have 5-10 concurrent downloads of -sequential parts- of that file
from a slew of other hosts. Still too slow? Add more download sites...

Often the final bottleneck becomes _your_ bandwidth. As it should be.

</soapbox>

grtz,

Han (who doesn't know any *NIX implementations for FastTrack)