Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2002 03:30:02 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Jacques Garrigue <garrigue@kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   -mcpu and CPUTYPE (Re: Problems with DP2 install floppies ... ?)

--envbJBWh7q8WU6mo

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 07:32:43PM +0900, Jacques Garrigue wrote:

> Aside question: I realized that the compiler sets -mcpu=pentiumpro by
> default. Is it the correct option for a Crusoe CPU?

-mcpu doesn't change instruction set generated by the compiler, it
affects instruction layout (i.e. the code still runs on a 386).

Your question is really about what value of CPUTYPE to set in
/etc/make.conf.  I don't know the exact answer to that question for
your CPU, but a vague answer is "whatever instruction set architecture
that chip emulates" (i.e. pentium3, pentium/mmx, etc).

Kris

--envbJBWh7q8WU6mo

--envbJBWh7q8WU6mo--