Date:      Wed, 27 May 1998 10:00:01 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
To:        Satwant <satwant@lachman.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FREEBSD installation.

On Tue, 26 May 1998, Satwant wrote:

[snipped. please leave Cc: when replying]

> although, the installation menu comes up, and i can
> do disk partitioning, and set up diff filesystems
> /, /usr,/var, BUT WHEN it tries to load the bin, man
> directories etc., it wants to know where should it load
> from.. and i say .. cdrom. It comes back
> saying "cdrom not found".
>
> This happens even when the install program is itself running
> from cdrom.
>
> Also, when I boot in dos mode, I can't see h: as my cdrom any
> more, although I can see it in dos shell.
>
> So I think my OS cant see my cdrom, although w95 can.

Is your CDROM drive an IDE based one? Common suggestions include
shifting it on the primary-controller (ie the 1st one) and making sure
it's jumpered as a slave.

> Now I am trying the following:
>
> copying all of cdrom contents onto D: drive, so that I may
> ( I hope I can) later choose to load through DOS partition and be
> able to specify that drive. ( I have C+D drive on my HD1 and E on HD2-
> I plan to use E as my bsd disk)
>
> I dont know if it will work.

I've never really tried installing off a DOS partition before, but
perhaps others on the list may have and perhaps advise you.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>