Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 2020 00:16:35 -0300
From:      Anatoli <me@anatoli.ws>
To:        dwilde1@gmail.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Optane Memory

Why would you chose Intel? AMD EPYC 2 clearly is a better option
performance/price & energy wise.

We're evaluating to purchase right now these ones: [1] with Micron 9300
Pro & Max for storage.

Next month they start shipping a 2U version with 24 U.2 disks.

Note: these servers connect the disks at PCIe Gen4, not Gen3 as all
others, with 4 PCI lanes per each U.2 disk, i.e. 8GB/s (64Gbps) for each
disk. Right now there are not many PCIe-4 disks available, but next year
they should be a commodity.

On the other hand, how would you be using the Optane DDR? It looks like
it gets about 2M IOPS, when Micron 9300 gets 850K IOPS. At the same time
Micron costs $185/1Tb [2] and Optane DDR costs about $1850 [3], i.e.
exactly 10x more expensive for 2.5x of IOPS. Is it worth it? What are
your use-cases?

Also, I suggest you check this article: [4] about this product: [5].

[1] https://www.supermicro.com/en/Aplus/system/1U/1124/AS-1124US-TNRP.cfm
[2] https://www.amazon.com/Micron-15-36TB-Enterprise-Solid-State/dp/B07SK8GSYZ/
[3] https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-4-Pack-Intel-Optane-DC-Persistent-Memory-NMA1XBD256GQS-256GB-DCPMM-2666/274391818137
[4] https://seekingalpha.com/article/4315613-microns-x100-will-drop-like-bomb-on-intel-data-center