Date:      Wed, 1 Sep 2010 12:38:33 -0700
From:      Rob Farmer <rfarmer@predatorlabs.net>
To:        Ed Flecko <edflecko@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Should a "squid" user have a shell?

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 9:02 AM, Ed Flecko <edflecko@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I'm looking in some documentation for Squid, which I'm installing on a
> FBSD 8.1 server, and it says I need to create a squid user and a squid
> group because I'm building/installing from source.
>
> I see to create the squid user, I user the (of course) "adduser"
> command (there isn't a default squid user with the base install, is
> there?).
>
> 1.) When I use the adduser command, from a security perspective,
> should the squid user have a shell? What should it be?
>
> 2.) How do I create a squid group and add the squid user to it?
>
> 3.) Since the squid user needs full access to the squid directory and
> all of its files, what the easiest way to give the appropriate
> permissions?

Service accounts shouldn't have a password (their password field
should be "starred out") and should have a shell of /usr/sbin/nologin
(this program logs any attempt to run it and exits).

The port using the following commands to set this up:

pw groupadd squid -g 100 -q
pw useradd -q -n squid -u 100 -g squid -c "Squid caching-proxy psuedo
user" -d "/var/squid" -s "/usr/sbin/nologin" -h -

This assumes data is in /var/squid. You can create this directory and
use chmod/chown to give the user and group necessary permissions.

The UID and GID (100 and 100 in this case) come from the lists in
/usr/ports and are reserved for squid to avoid conflicts.

--
Rob Farmer