Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 95 11:31:25 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Japanese syscons font?

> Has anyone managed to remap their screen enough to display enough
> common kanji/kana glyphs to be useful?
>
> If so, it'd be nice to get it into the distribution for 2.1!
> What are most of our japanese friends using?

The first third party LKM was a console driver called "World 21".  It
was an ISO 2022 driver based on (I think) JIS 212 (might have been the
older 208).  This was released for NetBSD.  I have a copy of it
somewhere, but would have to really did to find it.  I am sure it is
on one of 20+ tapes.

XPG/3 is insufficient for use for large glyph set languages (most
notably the CJK languages -- Chinese, Japanese, Korean).  You would
have to go to XPG/4.

I am not teriffically satisfied with the XPG soloutions to the problems
of data-driven localization.  The best thing that came out of that
was string/argument order mapping for printf to allow sentence
structure changes when priniting 2 or more strings/values.

I have some internationalization work I have been experimenting with
off an on, but it involves highly experimental (and now outdated)
changes to the file system, the console driver, and many pieces of
the system call interfaces.  It is definitely not ready for prime
time.  It also has the little problem of needing 1280x1024 to get
an 80x25 standard font cell screen.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---