Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2006 23:22:40 +0100
From:      Paolo Pisati <piso@freebsd.org>
To:        FreeBSD_Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD_Amd64 <amd64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD/amd64 CURRENT@12/18/06: reproducible hang/panic

Hi,

since 17/12/06 i decided to switch my main development box
from FreeBSD/i386 to FreeBSD/amd64.

My box is composed of:

PentiumD 920 (2x2.8Ghz no overclock)
2GB ram
Interl 945g

make.conf:

CPUTYPE?=       nocona
CFLAGS=         -O -pipe
KERNCONF=	GENERIC

With FreeBSD/i386 the box worked fine for months, but with
FreeBSD/amd64 i encountered these problems:

1) i'm able to solid hang the box (no panic, no crash, just a
   "picture" of my desktop) putting a bit of load on it
   (make -j6 buidworld).

2) sometimes when i rebooted the box, i got a panic/double fault after
   buffers where synced to disk: unfortunately the double fault msg
   scrolled up the real panic, so i was unable to see it.

While investigating the above problems, i decided to add:

options         DEBUG_MEMGUARD
options         DEBUG_REDZONE

to my kernel config. Made a buildworld, installed and rebooted. With
these 2 options activated, the system panics at boot:

MEMGUARD DEBUGGING ALLOCATOR INITIALIZED:
MEMGUARD MAP BASE: 	0xffffffff80e22000
MEMGUARD MAP LIMIT: 	0xffffffff83623000
MEMGUARD MAP SIZE: 	41947136 (BYTES) MEMORY MODIFIED AFTER FREE
			0xffffff0000039d00 (248) val = 5 @ 0xffffff0000039dd0
kernel trap 9 with interrupts disabled

fatal trap 9: general protection fault while in kernel mode
cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
inst ptr = 	...
stack ptr = 	...
frame ptr = 	...
code segment =	...
proc eflags =	resume, iopl = 0
current process = 0 ()
[thread pid 0 tid 0]
stopped at strlen+0x4: 		cmpb	$0, (%rdi)
db> bt
tracing pid 0 tid 0 td 0xffffffff80940080
strlen() at strlen+0x4
vnsprintf() vnsprintf+0x2e
panic() at panic+0x148
mtrash_dtor() at mtrash_dtor
uma_zalloc_arg() at uma_zalloc_arg+0x2fc
malloc() at malloc+0xe4
init_dynamic_kenv() a init_dynamic_kenv+0x5e
mi_startup() at mi_startup+0xc0
btext() at btext+0x2c

Now, i dunno if this panic is related to the previous described problems,
but i would like to know if i'm the only one to experience such problems.

bye,
P.