Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 2017 17:20:23 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail check_rcpt reports in daily run output

--6vknLj9fhaIMhG36uiGNgwbMKSteF4JBD
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

--RnMuoCtA6V8U1RskPPT0vCw1XaK8x5ibN

On 2017/03/06 17:00, Gary Aitken wrote:
> The daily run output now shows numerous rejected mail hosts for check_r=
cpt=20
> addresses at the domain on which it is running, e.g.:
> Checking for rejected mail hosts:
>    2 550 check_rcpt some-valid-user@dreamchaser.org zen.spamhaus.org
>    2 550 check_rcpt some-valid-alias@dreamchaser.org zen.spamhaus.org
>    1 553 check_rcpt 6090603@dreamchaser.org exist
>=20
> The domain in the message, (the destination) is clean at spamhaus.org.
> Mail is being delivered in general.

> Some mail was rejected via spamhaus.org due to the originating domain,
> but that's not the issue here -- the domain indicated is the destinatio=
n.
> Why would I get messages indicating a rejection from spamhaus for a
> domain it does not consider a problem?

The output in the daily e-mail comes from scanning /var/log/maillog for
log lines matching a particular pattern.  The original log lines contain
a lot more detail about why a particular message was rejected, and
should be what you look at first when you get suspicious lines like this
in your daily mails.

	Cheers,

	Matthew