Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 00:25:01 +0100
From:      Aernoudt Bottemanne <bottemanne@capitolonline.nl>
To:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need anti-exchange ammunition

Hi  Stephen,

Well about costs I can give you some figures. These figures are all from
IDG and Gartner Group, so were talking about objective and quality
information. This information, amongst others, I use to convine people
to go for Linux/FreeBSD/any other Unix:

TCO (Total Cost of Ownership):
Unix versus NT, in general  > 20 % cheaper to have Unix:

* users    Unix=14,57% cheaper
* staff    Unix=20,34% cheaper
*admin    Unix=8.76% cheaper
* network    Unix=49,77% cheaper

These figures are based upon 1000 users in anetwork. When the figures grow, the
differences become bigger (in Unix advantage !)

Up-time: based on a thorough investigation ( > 100.000 companies...)
Unix=23,6 hours per year of the air
NT=224,5 hours per year of the air
These are the official figures. Several large Dutch organizations, some big
banks, calculate 300 hours downtime per year per NT server.....
These figures are for Unix on Intel, the downtime of Unix on proprietary
hardware is even lower. AIX servers on RS/6000 or SP are leading the
compitition here.

Good luck !

FreeBSD: with patented Gates-Be-Gone(TM) gets rid of blue screens in a flash !
It forks !  It blits !  Look at those fantastic pixels !  It surfs the web !
You could even host an ISP with it !