Date:      Sat, 22 May 2004 09:31:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      mike <mike@mike2k.com>
To:        freebsd-threads@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why is MySQL nearly twice as fast on Linux?

On Sat, 22 May 2004, Daniel Eischen wrote:

> On Fri, 21 May 2004, JG wrote:
> > >You can also build mysql with LinuxThreads under FreeBSD
> > >and see if it performs any better.
> >
> > LinuxThreads is not available for FreeBSD/AMD64.
> >
> > However, as reported on the freebsd-amd64 thread list archive,
> > sadly, the best configuration turned out to be running this 64-bit AMD64
> > hardware in 32-bit mode under _i386_ FreeBSD rather than FreeBSD/AMD64
> > with mysql compiled with linuxthreads -- and those results were still very poor
> > compared to a "out of the box" Linux + mysql install.
> >
> > >   If it is comparable,
> > >that would tend to point to the kernel as the limiting
> > >factor.
> >
> > There is a significant improvement when using LinuxThreads vs
> > libpthreads or libc_r, others have reported no difference with libthr
> > as well.
>
> Can you point to the results (same hardware, native linux vs
> libpthread vs linuxthreads)?  There is too much volume on
> amd64 to go searching.

i will say that i on the same hardware, same configure options given to
mysql (i install it from source, not ports) on both linux and mysql
sported those results shown on my benchmark page.

other people throughout the freebsd main list have also reported during
the past few days that they've noticed mysql is not balancing the
processes properly between CPUs.

i'll repeat what i said there as well - this is an important issue to me
and i will give anyone here access to my machine if they'd like, as well
as give someone some cash to figure out and fix this bottleneck/issue.

i did think at one point perhaps the file system could be partly to blame;
but i think other (much more experienced folks) have already given their
two cents on the other list reenforcing the fact that threading on
freebsd5.x and mysql 4.x does not work properly.

i don't really care where the holdup is, it's the combination of the two;
people have reported it on SATA-based systems, SCSI-based systems, AMD64,
AMD/i386 and Xeon-based i386 systems. there is a common theme -
mysql+freebsd is bottlenecked somewhere. i am pledging whatever i have to
to try to expedite the solution.

- mike