Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2007 22:52:21 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Subject:   Re: Sun, Java stuff...

In the last episode (Mar 05), Gary Kline said:
> Unless I was dreaming, I seem to recall that Sun Micro was dropping
> its claims to things-Java a few weeks ago.  If true, why it it still
> so difficult to find the ports/packages/binaries for the Java suites
> we've got?  I had to google around to find the tzupdate zip file;
> what was in the diablojdk15 port didn't jibe with reality.  wget
> failed, &c.

You were probably dreaming about Sun "dropping its claims" to Java;
there's no reason they would do that.  They did announce in November
that they "will release all unencumbered source-code modules of JDK 6
and JDK 7, along with full build scripts; a few encumbered modules will
be released as binary plugins."

( http://www.sun.com/software/opensource/java/project_overview.jsp )

" Q: When will you finish open sourcing the JDK? What is the timeline?
  A: We expect to release a fully buildable JDK based almost completely
     on open-sourced code in the first half of 2007. "

( http://www.sun.com/software/opensource/java/faq.jsp )

As far at the timezone updates in the Diablo port, I had no problems
downloading the tzupdater-1_0_1.zip file with /usr/bin/fetch.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com