Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 07:13:14 -1000 (HST)
From:      Terrance Young <localkin@localkine.com>
To:        jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: benchmark "challenge" ...

John Reynolds~ wrote:

>  One of my friends who is a zealot in the Linux camp recently sent me
this
>  article that he pulled off their kernel mailing list. It's from "mr.
lmbench"
>  Larry McVoy:

>    I've been stress testing for the last day or so because I added a
>     128MB DIMM and started getting crashes (turns out it is a known
>     problem with the FIC 503+ MB, so get the biggest DIMM you can
>     afford - it doesn't seem to like two of them at once).

<-- Clip, Ouch was that my finger? -->

>  Not that, in the grand scheme of the planet, it REALLY matters, but
what
>  sorts of "stress tests" do people routinely pull out of -current or
more
>  importantly 3.1-stable? I still have a lowly 486 (upgrading RSN :), but
>  I've had more things running at 1 time under X than I thought possible
for
>  a 486 (I used to "stress test" OS/2 by starting up gobs of things and
it
>  would eventually require a reboot to come back to normal). It would
have been
>  nice had he told us what CPU he was using--but I just have to believe
that
>  FreeBSD is on par with this "impressive" (well it impressed him) Linux
>  achievement.

The FIC 503+ Motherboard supports; (P54CT/P54CTB/P55C MMX)Intel Pentium
166~233MHz; AMD-K6 166-300MHz, AMD K6 2 with 3DNow! 266~400Mhz ,
& Cyrix/IBM 6x86MX & MII chips..

yeah, I think FreeBSD should do good compared to Linux, :-) I have a 2
AMD 586/133's running 2.2.6 and 3.0 and both perform great under load.