Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 2000 10:48:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve VanDevender <stevev@darkwing.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sendmail.mc

Daniel C. Sobral writes:
 > MMmmmm... I looked into Solaris 7, and could not find a way to rebuild
 > the whole system with the options and compilation flags I wanted. I
 > guess they must do things a little bit different, eh?

The point is that you _can_ build a customized sendmail configuration
file in Solaris 7 with the base OS distribution, which is much more
common than wanting to build a customized binary.  We're using the stock
FreeBSD sendmail binary, but needed to change various things in the
configuration file to suit the needs of the mail system we're running.
Updating from FreeBSD 3.2 to 4.0 stomped on that customized
configuration, without any warning that was apparent to us, and we
didn't find out until one of the other admins noticed that it was no
longer building the proper alias databases.

Fortunately I had insisted on keeping around my own copy of the sendmail
8.9.3 distribution with our customized .mc template in it, so I could
quickly rebuild and install the .cf we wanted.