Date:      Wed, 07 Jul 2004 01:47:50 -0700
From:      Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>
To:        Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net>
Cc:        x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dependency fixing for xorg stuff

On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 10:04, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 01:32:34 -0700, Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu> wrote:

> >> You can remove the fluxbox-devel and fluxbox in this diff. The
> >> fluxbox-devel is no longer depend on XFree86-client. As for fluxbox will
> >> be remove too when maintainer approves or fluxbox-devel merges into
> >> fluxbox when 1.0 is released.
> >>
> >> A question, how would you like me to deal with the libXrender? The
> >> x11/gcursor, my port, will need the libXrender if xorg is installed. It
> >> doesn't need this if XFree86-lib is installed. If you already have this
> >> plan, then nevermind and I will wait.
> >
> > xorg-libraries provides libXrender just like XFree86-4-libraries does.
> > USE_XLIB will cover it fine.  You may be thinking of the modular x
> > effort, which is unfortunately still some time off before it'll be
> > releasable for general use.  Because of that I'm not working on
> > supporting it, for the moment.
>
> I have tested gcursor with xorg and it will fail compile because of
> missing xrender.pc. I didn't check nor realized that if xorg-lib already
> has libXrender, I just ammused that it needs libXrender so it's why I
> asked and never gave the enough detail. However, Franz has gave the
> perfect answer with bugzilla and etc of missing xrender.pc. Thanks! :-)
>
> Here's error of gcursor compile:
> checking for
>          glib-2.0
>          gobject-2.0
>          gtk+-2.0
>          gnome-vfs-2.0
>          libgnomeui-2.0
>          libglade-2.0
>          gconf-2.0
>          xcursor
>          ... gnome-config: not found
> gnome-config: not found
> Package xrender was not found in the pkg-config search path.
> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `xrender.pc'
> Package 'xrender', required by 'Xcursor', not found
>
> configure: error: Library requirements (
>          glib-2.0
>          gobject-2.0
>          gtk+-2.0
>          gnome-vfs-2.0
>          libgnomeui-2.0
>          libglade-2.0
>          gconf-2.0
>          xcursor
>          ) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment
> variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can
> find them.
> ===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.

I can't reproduce this myself:

checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking for pkg-config... /usr/local/bin/pkg-config
checking for
        glib-2.0
        gobject-2.0
        gtk+-2.0
        gnome-vfs-2.0
        libgnomeui-2.0
        libglade-2.0
        gconf-2.0
        xcursor
        ... yes
checking GCURSOR_CFLAGS... -D_REENTRANT -DORBIT2=1 -DXTHREADS
-DXUSE_MTSAFE_API -I/usr/local/include/glib-2.0
-I/usr/local/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/local/include/atk-1.0
-I/usr/local/include/bonobo-activation-2.0
-I/usr/local/include/orbit-2.0 -I/usr/local/include/li....

Are you sure your gnome install isn't broken?  ("... gnome-config: not
found")

--
Eric Anholt                                eta@lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt@FreeBSD.org